Every year, the association of 19 hospitals providing acute medical and mental health services, makes over 1 million bed nights available, treats 400,000 patients, carries out over 250,000 procedures and completes 3 million diagnostic tests. PHA members undertake around 50% of all heart surgeries and 65% of all spinal surgeries carried out every year and provide one in ten inpatient psychiatric beds in Ireland.
The Association today set out six steps which the incoming Minister for Health should take
- Design a joint public and private sector initiative to tackle waiting lists for both inpatient and outpatient treatments including a focus on diagnostics
- Move patients more quickly through Emergency Departments by using all available beds in both the public and private sectors;
- Address the gaps delaying patient treatment by launching a coordinated approach to attracting consultants and other health professionals to work in Ireland;
- Introduce a new competitive system for commissioning hospital care by 2018;
- Coordinate planned investment in medical facilities and equipment to avoid duplication, get value and create efficiencies;
- Establish a task force to boost co-‐operation between public and private healthcare systems.